Hey girls.. Just a few more chapters. I hope you have really been able to learn more about God's love for us and that this book has challenged you in many areas of your life. I cannot believe how fast the summer has flown by! We will be posting more about your final project in the next few weeks!
Chapter 8:
I want you to pick three descriptions of the "obsessed" and describe how you have maybe seen this in your own life and how it can be applied to your daily walk.
Chapter 9:
In this chapter there are many stories of those who are "obsessed" with Jesus Christ. They are all known because of what they have done for Christ. What do you want your life to be known for? Be radical in your thinking. What would be the most radical thing you could do for Christ?
We will see you all soon!
Love you all!!
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteThe first description of the obsessed I have picked is under the "friends of all" section. Chan says that "People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another." Whenever I come across pictures of people in Africa or even in America living on the streets, my heart aches a little bit. I am one who longs to help people, and one day I want to go to Africa and try to help anyone and everyone I see because that is where my heart is. This will help me connect with God because it will help me realize how blessed I am with what God has given me.
Another description of the obsessed I can connect to is under the "servers" catagory. Chan says that "People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden." This reminds me of the flood from early May here in Nashville. At first, I wasn't too excited about getting all dirty and muddy when I went to help some families out. But I learned that it shouldn't be something I feel I should do, but something I want to do. This helped me want to serve God and his kingdom more.
The last description I relate to is under the "sojourners" section. Chan says here that "A person who is obsessed thinks abou heaven frequently." I know that what I have here on earth is nothing compared to what I will have in heaven. Whenever I feel like I am not good enough for the world, it is good to imagine what heaven will be like when we are finall with Jesus. It makes me excited for what is to come when I am with my true heavenly Father.
Chapter 9:
We all strive to be known for different things, like the star basketball player, the amazing singer, or the really smart one. But if I think bigger, what I should want to be known for is how I am with Christ! I want to be known for how much I loved him, talked to him, trusted him, ect., like Chan's grandmother Clara was.
I just spend a few minutes thinking about what the most radical thing I could to for Christ would be... and I can't come to a final decision. But there is a LOT I owe him and should do for him, because of everything he has done for ME.
~Lindsay Curtis~
chapter 8:
ReplyDelete-The first “obsessed” description is in the “Servers” paragraph. “People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people” Matt. 13:33; John 15:8. I have seen this through a couple of service projects we have done at CPA. I love being able to bring in money, clothes, supplies, etc. for the people who need it. I feel like as a wealthy school, that is the least we can do for those people. One fundraiser really stood out to me about two years ago. When I was in seventh grade, the entire middle school raised money for a little boy named Caleb who had cancer. He loved Sponge Bob so we raised money to hire a person to dress up as Sponge Bob and to decorate the gym like a beach. It was incredible to see the whole middle school come together and fulfill this little boy’s dream. He rolled in on a wheelchair looking extremely sick. We could all tell by his eyes and his smile that he was very fortunate to be alive. He absolutely loved the surprise and by the look on his face, we could tell that he was going to remember that for the rest of his life. He died a couple of weeks later, but it still felt awesome to lift the spirits of this little boy and help out his family. I can honestly say that I had a great time giving hope to this little boy because it helped me realize how fortunate I am to have a healthy life and the opportunity to help other people. I can definitely apply this to my daily life. I can be inspired to give more to the unfortunate and I can constantly realize how blessed I am to have what I have.
-The second “obsessed” description is in the “crazy ones” paragraph. There was a remarkable family that I know who moved from Ohio to Tennessee, leaving all of their friends and family because God told them to. I applaud them for doing that because I know that I would not be able to sacrifice my home, family, friends, and school for God. It is a very difficult decision and I don’t think I would be willing to do it. They are very brave! I can apply this to my life through my trust with God. I can begin to become closer and closer with God and if He tells me to do something then I will have a good attitude about it because, “Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth.” (Luke 14:25-35; Matt. 7:13-23; 8:18-22; Rev. 3:1-6).
-The third “obsessed” description is found in the “sojourners” section. I often catch myself living in the moment. It is easy to snap out of it because I start to wonder what it would be like if Jesus came back to the earth at that moment. “A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.” This is a really hard task to grasp. It is so hard to constantly think about heaven and eternity. To apply this to my daily life, I can make a sticky note that says, “Jesus first” to remind myself to think of Jesus while making decisions and so I don’t get too caught in the moment.
Chapter 9:
I think the most radical thing I could do for Christ would be to spread his word. I would do everything possible to obey Him and follow what He tells me. I would love to help people commit to their lives to Christ. I would want my life to be known for obeying God’s commands and helping other people come to Christ. Like it says in Hebrews 11:8, “By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.” This is amazing to me. Abraham had so much faith in God that he was willing to leave everything and move.
Chapter 8
ReplyDeleteThe first description of the obsessed that I feel applies to my walk is the lover description. I feel like I have this thing where I don't care if people love me or hate me I still would be there for them if they needed me. Jesus tells us to love your neighbor and to treat others as you want to be treated. Like Chan says " This is compassion and it touches the heart of the world" When people know they are loved, it can change their life and turn their view of you around.
The second description I picked was the Friends of All one. I feel like my friends vary in the sense of financial issues. I am friends with the richy rich people and the people who are not so rich. To me money doesn't define who you are or who you can or can't hang out with. Chan is right on when he says"People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction." I see a lot of celebrities fall into those temptations and decisions. They see that people adore them and they try and make more and more money and they go down dark paths and wind up in rehab or jail. It is something that I feel I will never go through because I am happy with what I have and I know that God has given me what I need to get by.
The third description I have picked is the server. I have always had a servants heart I feel. I LOVE getting out there and serving other people. I feel like serving doesn't just have to be helping the poor. It is about helping the less fortunate. Sometimes the less fortunate is also the rich people who don't know Christ. A lot of my friends are great people who don't know Jesus. They havent grown up in a Christian setting but they know my views. I love being able to tie in Jesus in my conversations just very subtly but it alsways makes them thing and sometimes they ask me questions about Him. It is great. Chan's analogy about his daughter's date and churchgoers is a great one. I hardly ever have time to go help the homeless or poor, so my service is spreading the gospel. People might disagree with me, but God never sets boundaries or terms of how you need to serve, you just need to serve.
Chapter 9
I want my life to be known for bringing people to Christ. So far my family and I have brought many many of my tennis friends to Christ. It is such a great feeling when they call and say " I went to church today!" And how excited their voice is. I think the most radical thing I could do, like Presley said, is spreding His word and bringing followers to Him. I get random people who I don't even know coming up and asking me about the church I go to and what goes on there and what Church is like. It brings me joy to see them eager to learn and not just discarding what I say.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteThe first profile of the obsessed that I connected with was the "lovers". Chan wrote, "people who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back"(132). I connected with this profile because I struggle with loving my enemies. I always have a hard time loving someone that is mean to me and who doesn't love me well. I know that I am supposed to love them and show God's love to them but it's always difficult to love someone that hates you. This profile helped me remember that I need to try my best to love those who seem unloveable.
Another profile that I connected with was the "friends of all". Chan wrote, "people who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him" (135). When Chan started telling how he meant to give money to people that he knew that were less fortunate, but he soon realized that he couldn't think of anyone that he knew, I realized that I couldn't think of anyone either. I realized that I live in a nice community and I have wealthy friends but I can't think of anyone that is really struggling to put food on the table. This profile helped me realize that I need to be helping those in need more and more and I need to get to know people like that so that I can help them and lead them to Christ.
The last profile of the obsessed that I connected with was the "Sojourners". Chan says, "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them" (142). I could connect to this profile because I realized that I don't think about heaven very often. I make tons of plans for my life on Earth. I want to go to this college, I want to live here, I want to make this much money. I am always planning out my life but never thinking about what's more important. I never think about heaven and I find it ironic because I'm always thinking about my plans for my life on Earth. This profile helped me realize that I need to stop making so many Earthly plans and focus on what's more important: eternity.
Chapter 9:
I would like for people to remember me as a Godly woman when I die. One year in a middle school chapel, there was a man who came and talked to us and he ended up saying, "what would you want to be written on your gravestone?" It was a hard question because I realized that you only get one thing written on your gravestone and at that point you can't control it so it made me think about how others see my life. I wanted people to see me as a Godly woman and I still struggle with this because I guess I can't be too sure that people see me this way. The most radical thing I could do for Christ is give Him everything I have. I am so connected to all of my material items that I would just about die if I had to give up everything and everyone that I love for God. That's something I really need to work on. I need to be able to give Him all of me and everything that I have.
Chapter 8
ReplyDelete1) "A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the sin of pride is always a battle. Obsessed people know that you can never be 'humble enough,' and so they seek to make themselves less known and Christ more known." I am very prideful. I often think that I know more than God, or I know what's best for me.. not God. This is very convicting, therefore I try to make myself humble. Even though I can never shake my prideful thoughts.
2)"People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider serving a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people." I love to serve. I really do get joy when I can see how my work helped others. I never dread serving. It's something I'm passionate about, so I try to put myself in oppurtunities to serve...like mission trips and service groups.
3)"A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he can do is be faithful to his Savior in every aspect of his life, continually saying "Thank You!" to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He revels in his role as child and friend of God." I try to give thanks to God as much as possible. I know that he has given me so much and I will never be grateful enough. But I know that I will never be able to repay God... so I must surrender in order to have true intimacy.
Chapter 9
I want people to remember me as someone who loved God passionately. Someone who would do anything for her Savior and Creator. But I'm very far off from that! There are times when I just want to do something radical! Like go to a different country for a year to really humble myself. To be truly grateful for everything God has given me. And because I love to serve, this should be the most radical thing I do in my lifetime....just to serve in all circumstances, whether in a different country or a different city.
~Kathryn Fisher
Chapter 8
ReplyDeleteThe first description of “obsessed” that I have seen in my life is the friends of all. I relate to this one because as the description says I have connected with the poor in some way or another. One scenario that really sticks out to me was on my trip to Africa; there was where I really felt that I got to connect with others that were less fortunate. This could be applied to my daily walk by letting myself know that I do not need everything. I need to realize that I should be content with the food and clothing that I have.
The second description of “obsessed” that I have seen in my life is the servers. I have seen this one in my life because I do not find it a burden to serve others. I always try to be willing to serve others with their needs, and help them as much as I can. I take joy in loving God’s people. I can apply this description to my daily walk by loving people more. I know I can love God more by loving his people.
The third description of “obsessed” that I have seen in my life is the unguarded ones. I have seen this in my life because I do not try to cover my sins. I understand that God knows that I am going to sin before it happens, so there is no need for me to try to hide them from him. I know that none of us are perfect and that we all sin. God will be my safe place because He is perfect, and He will forgive me. This can be applied to my daily walk by never trying to fool God. I should never try to run away from him, and I should always remember that he is there for me.
Chapter 9
I want my life to be known for living by faith. I want to fully trust in God and know that his hand is on my life and he will take care of me. I also want to be known for loving the very poor and broken, and I do not want them to escape from my life. I want to make sure that they are loved. And I want to be able to give some tangible love, which leads to the most radical thing I could do for Christ. I think that even though we are called to give up our comfortable lives and go serve the Lord, the hardest thing for me would be to sell all my things and live for Christ. I would hope that I could say yes to God, and follow his plans for me.
Mallory McCullough
The first profile of the obsessed that I related to was The Humble. Of course, I am not perfect and I deal with pride and arrogance just like anyone else. However, about a year ago I decided to change the way that I viewed others. I made a promise to myself that when I met or saw a person for the first time that I would attempt to not judge them no matter what they looked like, what I knew about them, or how different they were from me. By practicing this in my daily life, I have been able to understand, love, forgive, befriend and serve so many people that before I would have never even thought to associate with. Even though, I still struggle with judging upon first impressions, I am continuing to work on it and change daily with the help of the Lord. We are all equal in God's eyes and one human is no greater than the other, so why do we assume we have the right to treat people like we are better?
ReplyDeleteThe second profile of the obsessed that relates to my life was Unguarded Ones. I am an evil sinner who is worth nothing and deserves nothing; and yet what do I receive? Infinite love from the Creator of the universe. My Father knows EVERYTHING about me, every horrible and disgusting sin that I have ever committed. He knows these things and yet he always loves and forgives. Jesus is truly my best friend and I know that I never have to hide anything from Him because he will love me the same no matter what.
The third profile that is present in my life is the Soujourners. To put it plainly, I am so pumped for heaven. I know that my life here is temporary and I can't wait for eternal life with my Savior. I can't even begin to wrap my head around the concept of living FOREVER and I know that my life in paradise will be so perfect that I can't even comprehend it. I love thinking about life in heaven. As each day passes, I become more excited because I know that I am one day closer to arriving in paradise with my Best Friend.
I want to live a life of complete humility. As a Christian and lover of Christ, I have no right to live a life of pride and self-love. Humility and love are parallels, therefore, when you show examples of one of these you are automatically practicing the other as well. I want to represent Christ by being an example of humility and love in every aspect of my life. My goal is for people to look at me and begin to feel the same desire that I did when I chose to change the way I lived my life and viewed or treated others. Imagine what this world could be if we all loved each other as equals. That's the way God sees it, and it's the way that I want to see it too.
Sydney Pashley
The first kind of obsession that i can relate to is the "friends of all" category. I feel like i can relate to this through my trips to Belize. I've gone on a mission trip to Belize for the past three summers and every time I have been so impacted by the people there. The children, adults, and families there have absolutely nothing, but yet they have more joy and happiness than the richest people in the world. I can apply this to my life by remembering that things of the world do not bring happiness, only God gives us pure joy. I can also remember to be thankful for all that I have and not to take anything for granted.
ReplyDeleteA second profile that I can identify with is the "lovers of all" category. It is very easy for me to love those who I get along with. I love to have good relationship and be with people that I love. The hard part about loving is to love those that we do not get along with just as much as we love those who are our friends. I can apply this to my life by remembering to love ALL. Christ loves us even though we do not deserve it by any stretch, and we need to do the same to others.
The third category that I can identify is the "serving" category. I get the greatest feeling when/after I serve others. It really makes me feel like I have made a difference for somebody and I love when I know that I have helped people. I am a very visual person and I love to see a difference in someone or something. I think God has laid it on my heart to serve, not just in other countries or states, but locally too. I can apply this to my life by serving people more often and also serving in simple ways. I can serve even just my friends and family by helping out around the house and not complaining. The little things count just as much and I need to work on serving in every way that I can!
I want to be known as the girl that people know is a Christian without me having to tell them. I want people to know that I love the Lord by my actions, reactions, words, and decisions. I want to be known for a girl that tries her best to honor the Lord. I do not want to come across as self righteous or "perfect" because I am a sinner and I am not perfect at all. I want people to know that I love God and i want to live my life for Him!
Chapter 8
ReplyDeleteThe first description of "obsessed" are the lovers. They give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back. This is a struggle for me because if someone harms me or says somthing mean to me, I do not love them or forgive easily. Also, I have seen people who are "obsessed" and love freely and I am awestruck. I often times find myself judging and hating someone and so it is just hard for me to fathom loving freely. The quote "the tortured's love for the tortuer. This is God's love. It conquers the world" is amazing. Corrie ten Boom was a great model for this statment. I remember a qoute from her. She said to love those who tourture you, who don't love you back, and to those who harm you. I really want to be like this, one who forgives and loves no matter what.
The second are the risk takers. I recently went on a trip and I always say a prayer for our saftey. When I read about the risk takers, I noticed the selfish truth behind my prayer. I am puting my saftey above God. People who are obsessed with Jesus are not consumed with their personal saftey and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this eart than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress. I want to be willing and able to pray the prayer "God, bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes...(133). I want to take that step.
The third are the rooted. Last Sunday, a lady was talking about how we put earthly posessions above Christ. She told us to make a list of things that we commonly put befor Christ. There was one thing in common with the lists. Everyone had put Facebook, Myspace, etc. Not one person put Jesus though. She told us that we need to put Jesus first, not to the side. Also, Chan said that in Psalm 1, we need to be like a fuit tree. There is an analogy about a pine tree and a n apple tree. We need to be the apple tree who bears fruit, not a worthless pine tree.
Chapter 9
When I die, like Chloe, I want to be known as a Godly woman. I want to be known for sharing God's word and showing HGis love through my actions. The most radical thing I would do is move to inner-city and live amound them, serve them, tell the of God and love them. I have actually thought about this and feel called. When I am older, I hope that I will do this and serve God.
Sophie
Chapter 8:
ReplyDelete“People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving his people.” This first description of the “obsessed” I have had the opportunity to witness. Every year around May my church has a day called the “Great Day of Service.” Every member of the church has the opportunity to help somewhere whether that is bringing food to the homeless, sorting cans, cleaning yards and much more. Last year my family and I went to Grace works to help sort the cans and clean the shelves and when we were done everyone was so thankful for our help. It is amazing to see how many people are willing to give up their Saturday and help those in need.
The second description of the "obsessed" that I connected with was Friends of All. “People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to him.” When I think of this profile I think of Mother Teresa. She dedicated her life to the poor, the sick, the homeless and the people who were dying. She was an extraordinary woman. I see many people in my own life who remind me of her because of the great works they are doing for the people in need. It gives me encouragement to get out and help people.
The last description of the "obsessed" that I connected with was Sojourners. “A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.” I think about heaven a lot. I wonder who I am going to see there, where am I going to live, and who I won’t see. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about what else I need on earth but what I should be thinking about is how amazing it is going to be in Heaven.
Chapter 9:
When I die I want everyone to remember me as a women who was in love with Jesus and never stopped talking about him. I will strive to be like Jesus and like Presley and Sydney said I want to spread Gods word with anyone I meet. Grandma Clara sounds like an amazing woman. I would have loved to meet her and hear all the stories that she has to tell. She has the qualities of someone who I would like to be remembered as. In these past nine chapters, I have learned so much about Jesus and how important a relationship with him really is.
Chapter 8
ReplyDeleteSo the first "obsessed" profile that I really clicked with were the risk takers. " People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress." When I read this, the first thought that went through my mind was "Wow. I want to be like that." I think its just amazing when people literally follow God to the cross.
The next profile I connected with was the profile of the servers. My parents is really big on serving. A lot of their free time and money goes into helping people in the best way that they know possible. They find such joy in serving others that it's been passed down to me. Serving is a blessing for everyone involved.
The next was someone rooted. This one probably stuck with me because im not the most rooted in Jesus. Immediately when I read this I thought of my "Uncle" Teddy Thompson. He is a little older than my dad and there are honestly only about 4 things he does on a regular basis. He spends time with God,exercises, works, and eats. He finds so much joy in spending time with God, and doesn't have a family so he spends all his free time just talking to God. He is one person who can literally say that God is his best friend.
Chapter 9
When I die I want to be known as someone who shined (shone?) for Christ. I want people to see something different in me. I want to be known as someone who met the challenge of living differently from the world and did a good job. I want to be known as someone who had plans for her life, and left them to follow God WHEREVER He wanted her to go. The girl who loved to serve and give. The girl who God gave enough love to love the world. The girl who loved God enough to live radically and take risks for him.
The first one for me is friend to all. For me that mean be friend with the poor and the rich. also the people that dont have friends, the people how feel a only, the one how thinks there is no hope for them. I dont have to go looking different place for people like this, all i have to do is look up. Seeing people that school that need a friend. right now if feel like God wants me to also look for people like that even when my friends dont think that it cool. I feel like people think so much of help other in different place or home use or people who dont have much, that they dont see the people around them that go to there church or school that need a friend. I think we need to look all around to find people that need a firend.
ReplyDeleteThe second one for me is crazy love. I know people that are so in love with God that they do what ever he wants them to even give up there life. They live there house go to a place they dont know even some go place were they kill people that love God. Wow they give up there friend, a save place, money, and there time just for God. That is some one that crazy in love. I know people that dont even have money for food because the give it away. They trust that God will provide for them. Wow I hope that one day I will be that crazy in love.
The third description for me is serving other. That make me think that in all i do should be serving other from big thing like give the poor food to even small thing like washing the dish for my mother. That i should never think of my self because them i would be serving me and not other. that ever thing i do should be as if i was doing it for God. I like my mother alway say, "God first, others second, you last."
Chapter 9:
I want to be know for this the girl that follow the lord. That knows what God need her to do and she does it without complaining. That is crazy in love a friend to all, who serve others. A person that does not just know God but has a relationship with him. A friend that you can trust and learn from. The most radical thing i could do is trust him. If that mean give up my house and more to a different place that i have never been then I will trust him and do so. If it means to give all my money away and live on trusting God will provide food and shelter then i will do so. What ever God throw my way that i would trust in him and do what ever he have designed me to do in his name. That is the most radical thing i could do for my lord.
Chapter 8
ReplyDelete1) obsessed that I connected with was the "friends of all". Chan wrote, "people who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. “(135) This connects to me because I want to help the poor. I want to help them find God. Want to be friends to them who is always there for them.
2) the next obsessed that I connected with was the "Sojourners". Chan wrote, "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them" (142). I want to be like this I do think of heaven a lot but not the Chan mother who do not like going to a play because she does not want Jesus to come back and her to be there. I wish I could think like that.
3) the last one I connected with was the "lovers". Chan wrote, "People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back"(132) My mother have a friend that if anyone said “I like that _____” she would give it to them like a shirt a nickels or anything she has. Also she did not want anything back after giving it. She also gives it to anyone poor, rich, someone she did not like, stranger or her friend it did not matter to her. I want to be like that. Not caring about thing but people.
Chapter 9
I want to do a lot for God. I want to show God through me in my daily life. Like being obsessed to the max with God. I want to teach people about God if that mean in a different country or right here, I will go. And that is what I want to know as too. But the main thing I want to do is to do what God has Created me to do and if possible more. That all I can ask to fulfill God’s plan.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDelete"Servers"-This description of the obsessed really connected with me because I absolutely love doing service projects. When he puts "Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people" it really made me think. I realized that What Chan has been writing about loving God and living for Him is seen through doing what I love. I hope that I can step out of the box of typical churchgoers who go to church and think that's it and that I can be one of those people that is not hesitant whatsoever to do anything for God.
"Unguarded Ones"- This is one that I connected with not because I do this on a regular basis, but because this is something I would love to do. I want God to be my safeplace. I don't want Him to be this almighty thing that I am constantly trying to impress because that's not the way we were made.
"Friends of All"- This one connected to me because the most memorable service I have ever done is going and feeding the homeless. Just the smile on their faces and the never ending joy they can have when they have so little has stuck with me. We've had a homeless person stay with us in my house and i consider it to be a great experience and a way to show God's love. I pray that as I live I can truly be a friend to everyone and live like Jesus.
Ch. 9
The most radical thing I can do for Christ, and the thing I want to be known for is leaving EVERYTHING I have here, my comfortable home and life, my friends, everything and just going. Going wherever he wants me to go and doing whatever He wants me to do. The most radical thing I can do is follow God's calling on my life whatever it may be. That's what I want to be known for.
Ch. 8
ReplyDelete- "People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else..."
This seemed to apply to my life because I don't care very much about physical comfort, but try more to please God. I would much rather live in a shack and preach the word of God, then live in a mansion and not be able to.
- "People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures..."
This seemed to apply to my live because I always seem to be upfront with God about my sins. I have learned that I can't hide anything from God, so I cry out for help and confess my sins straight up.
- A person who is obsessed with Jesus is more concerned with his or her character than comfort..."
This has just recently started applying to my life. Last year, when I prayed I would pray for my sick Grandma, or that we would travel safely, but now I have learned to work more on my relationship with God through my prayers, rather than earthly comfort.
Ch. 9
I want my life to be known for extending the kingdom of God is big ways. I want to be responsible for many more faces in heaven.. I want to go to places where there are hungry, and sick, and poor. I want to minister to them and give them Bibles and preach the good news. I want to shout it from the roof tops! That is what I want in this life.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDelete1) I think that the "friends of all" obsession sounds like something I most definately struggle with. I am in such a comfortable bubble that I do not know many people that are in need of something that I take for granted. Unfortunately I complain about what I don't have more than I thank God for what I do have. And I know there are people out there that don't have anything and I need to make myself more open to the idea of helping them as apposed to wasting my time, money and energy on something I am not in need of.
2) The second obsession I can relate to is "The Humble." I have given time, donations and energy to some people and I expect gratitude back. I have found myself wondering when I will be rewarded for giving something to someone in need. This truly shows my selfishness and my lack of giving. It is not sincere is I expect something back. Jesus gave all He had to anyone who wanted or needed it, even though they didn't deserve it, and here I am wanting something in return. I completely agree with what Chan said in the beginning, "The church in America loves to turn saints into celebrities, to make known the stories of humble people who have faithfully served Christ in some way." This is how I see it sometimes. I pray that I can have a more giving heart and expect NOTHING in return!
3) The third obsession that I can relate to is the "Unguarded Ones." Chan says that sometimes he finds himself praying and softening his sins and asking for forgiveness for them. I do the exact same thing! I will sin and I know I did, and I will either avoid the fact that I did it hoping that God will forget about it, or I will make it sound better than it was. Unfortunately I do that often! I find myself rephrasing my prayers to make more of a focus on other things and not my sins. I pray that I will strengthen in the fact that I will not hide anything from God.
Chapter 9:
I want my life to be an example for others. I want to walk like Jesus did! I hope to love like Jesus did. And I want to serve like Jesus did! I have a very LONG way to go to accomplish this but I would love to serve God through EVERYTHING I do. That includes my language or my thoughts or my actions. I hope to follow in the footsteps of Christ and become more like Him!
~Abby Cook
One of the categories I felt like I related to was the "sojourners" category. It says, "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them" (142). When I read this, I felt like I related to it because I find myself spending a lot of time thinking about heaven. I don't necessarily sit around and just day dream about it all the time (though I do sometimes) but I spend a lot of my time thinking about my actions and seeing whether or not what I'm doing is helping me on my walk with God and towards heaven.
ReplyDeleteThe next category I identified with was "servers". Chan said, "People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people" (139). I know I've used this example of serving a lot throughout these blogs, but when I served the people during the flood it was one of the first times when I haven't felt like it was something I "needed" to do. I actually really wanted to get out there and help these people who had lost everything. It was so different for me to help them and serve them because some of the people I had never met in my life. We were all kind of scared that it would be awkward while we were trying to help them sort through everything, but in the end they were so thankful that we were there and I felt needed and knew that I was serving God through helping them.
Another category I related to was "Crazy Ones". Chan talked about how he wanted to sell his house for something smaller and cheaper and give the extra money that came out of it to someone in need. He said that even his close friends who were Christians did not fully support him or think that it was a good idea. This reminds me of a time when me and some friends were down town and a homeless man was sitting on the side of the street with the sign but didn't even have enough energy to beg for money or food because he hadn't eaten or slept in a good place in days. I wanted to go and give him some money or buy him what he needed but the people I was with were scared that he would do something to us if we took him into a restaurant or even talked to him. This hurt me so much and I explained to my friends that this man is not lower than us and for us to assume things about him is not right. We all ended up just giving him some money and bringing him our extra food and although it was kind of scary to talk to a homeless man, I know we served God through helping that man.
When I die, I want to be known as a woman of God who served Him whenever she could. I want people to know that I was definitely a Christian and I want people to be able to see that through my actions even if they have never talked to me or met me. I hope that I will put myself out there more starting now because I want to do crazy things for Christ and not be afraid to serve Him.
CHAPTER 8
ReplyDeleteThe first category I identified with was Lovers. I have always had this thing about me where I love people no matter what. Even after people have hurt me, it doesn't really affect my love for them or the way I treat them. However, I know I am not this way by my own strength...it is only through God's love that I am able to love others in this way.
The second one I related to was Servers. When I am serving others (in the big ways and in the small ones) I feel like I am really doing something for the kingdom of God. I love it when God presents me with amazing opportunities to serve him and others with my time and abilities, for example the recent flood relief work, but I also love it when I find small and not very obvious ways to serve, like doing small favors for people without them asking. Serving is such an awesome way to show my love for Christ my loving those whom he created.
The last one I really identified with was the Unguarded Ones. I am not really one to open up to people and tell them my inner feelings/what I really think about a situation. And its not that I'm scared to share, its jsut that its not my natural tendency. However, when I pray, I tell God everything. In Crazy Love on page 144, Chan writes, "People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don't but it on for God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace." God truly is my safe place, where I can be real, truly myself, and completely candid.
CHAPTER 9
FIrst and foremost, I want to be known as a daughter of the King. I want people to know that through the way I act, handle situations, and treat others. Also, before I die I want to radically change at least one person's life. I'm not sure what that will look like exactly, and I'm not sure to what degree the change will be, but I desperately want to change the world for a least one person.
Ch. 8:
ReplyDeleteServers- Chan says that "People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people." In the past few years I have really begun to enjoy serving. I feel so much closer to God when I do it and I feel like I obeyed what He wanted me to do. I started serving at special saturdays for special kids in about 6th grade and it really gave me a heart to help kids in need. I also would love to visit Africa one day and be able to help kids there. Serving is such a great way for me to grow closer with God.
Risk Takers- "People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. They care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress." This is one that I really struggle with. For example, during tornados I am always worried that it is going to either hit my house or something very important in my life. I know it might sound weird, but I really do worry about my safety. However, when I think of how all the pain and sorrow from this world will be completely gone in heaven, it gives me peace. I know that when God's kingdom comes to this earth it will be utterly amazing and so much better than we could ever imagine.
Unguarded ones- "People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures." No matter how hard I might try to hide things from the people around me, I always tell God everything. God already knows everything about me, so I think there is no point in trying to hide anything from Him. Therefore, I let Him know everything that is going on in my life. It can really help if you just give all your burdens to Him instead of trying to carry it yourself.
Ch. 9:
I want to be known as a woman of God who gave her life to Christ. I want to help at least one person become a true believer. Also, I want to die knowing that I gave everything I had to the Lord, and that through that I was able to help change other's lives.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteThe first profile I connected with was "Lovers", in my relationships with my friends and family I look past their faults and focus on their strength and good qualities which at times I do too much but I could never stay mad at them. I want to see them smile and be having a good time. I try hard to please them and love them when tough times come along. I like being there and being able to be the one that my friends come to when they need help and I can be able to love on them. The quote I really liked was, "True faith is loving a person after he has hurt you. True love makes you stand out." I want to be able to do this, love some one and be able to easily forgive if they ever hurt me or angered me.
The second profile I connected with was "Servers" because i love to please people and the best way I can do this is through serving them. I spend a couple days out of my week to help teach little girls and boys basketball and it makes me happy when i can help pick something up for someone or even do little things such as keeping a door opened. At times I tend to get myself too much in a routine, it's just my nature but I love that God gives us opportunities at these little or big acts of service. I find my enjoyment in serving someone when i see them smile or laugh, i feel that I have helped. I feel that Chan said it best when he said, "He is asking you to love as you would want to be loved." It's the Gold Rule of simply treating people the way you want to be treated, but this saying is a great example of how to serve others.
The third profile I connected with was "Dedication", sports has helped me with dedication, dedicating my time and self to something or someone (God). I've learned that in order to get reach the very best you have to put in your very best effort. You must put in what you want to get out, everything. Chan said, "Joy is something that we have to choose and then work for." This goes for anything that we want, we must work for it. In the past and I still am dedicated to sports and other activities but I've wanted to be dedicated in my walk with God and to Him, now I'm not the most dedicated but it takes time and I'm working at it. Knowing that it takes time and just doesn't happen over night helps me to keep things in perspective and take steps to reaching what I want.
Chapter 9:
I've always wanted to be known for being the best at some sport or activity but I've realized that years later after everyone I know is gone from this earth nobody will remember that girl that was the best at fill in the blank. In Matthew 5:16 it says, "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." I wish to just this as well as discover myself in God as it says in Phil. 2:12, "We each need to discover for ourselves how to live this day in faithful surrender to God as we "continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling." I want to be remember as someone who wasn't held back by fear, who was able to spread God's word fearlessly and courageous, loving all those around me. I want to be able to lead non believers and ones who are unsure to God's safe haven, heaven. I want to be remember as someone who helped save a life by giving them the opportunity to know God and his wonderful creations and the power of His Word.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteServers-"People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people." I relate to this one because especially over the past couple of years the Lord has really laid it upon my heart for service. He has taught me the eternal rewards that are given from humbly serving His people. Although, I know I could serve way more often than I do. It is a goal that I try to achieve daily. I love serving the Lord because it is one of the times that I feel closest to the Lord.
Sojourners-"A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them." I love this because this is something that the Lord has been teaching me a lot. He has been teaching me the importance of eternity and anything else that isn't eternal (things of the world) really don't matter. Way too often I get caught up in worldly things and reading this in this chapter was such a great reminder to me to keep my focus on the bigger picture, which is heaven...not the things of this world.
The rooted- "People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God's Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages."
I relate to this in the way that I have really been taught and understood recently the importance of truly digging into the Word of God and learning it and cherishing it. Through trying my best to continually stay rooted in the Bible I have seen God in my life so much more clearly. It is slowly becoming a habit to read my Bible and I find myself thinking of the Lord so much more randomly throughout the day.
Chapter 9:
I want to be known for being a God follower. I want people to see me and my actions and know that I love Christ. I want all of my actions to bring glory to the Lord and not myself. I want to humbly serve God's children in need and show them Christ's love as best as I can through my actions. I want to feed the starving and love people who have never received it previously. I want all my actions to exemplify the Lord and it be obvious that I love the Lord and serve the King of Kings. I want my life to reflect Jesus.
-Kate Farley
(Sorry if this is late.)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteChapter 8:
ReplyDelete1. The first description of the obsessed that I feel applies to my walk is the lover description. It doesn't matter to me whether someone is my best friend or worst enemy, if someone needs me I always strive to be there for them. God tells us to do unto others as we would have done unto us, and I know that if I got through anything difficult I want people to be there to love on me.
2. Another category that I really related to was with the "servers". When it says that they delight in serving others and it's not a burden, that's how I feel. We only have a short amount of time on Earth, and while I'm here, I want to spend my time doing things that bring God and myself joy, one of these being serving. I take joy in loving God by loving his people specifically in third world countries. God tells in Matthew 25:40 that whatever we do for the lease of these on earth, we are doing for God himself. I love being with those who have nothing and show their love for Christ in everything they do.
3. The last category that I really related to was the Sojourners, where it says "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them." In David Platt's book "Radical", there's a diagram that shows our time on earth.
*------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
That first dot is where we are born, and the vertical line marks the end of our time on earth. Then the line keeps going and going and going and going FOREVER, because that's the part where we spend eternity. This really put things into perspective for me because we spend our whole time as humans on this planet thinking about earthly things and what we are going to do in that TINY little space of our time as humans, when what we should be focusing on is how our decisions and actions made on earth are going to affect the rest of our eternal life.
Chapter 9:
I want people to know me as the girl who always tried to serve those aorund her. The one who was friends with everyone and treated everyone as Matthew 7: 12 tells us to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". I want my life to reflect Christ, as well as my actions. I think something radical that I will definitely do later on in life is adopt, because adoption has had such a big impact on my life and I have a heart for it. In addition to that, I would LOVE to go live in a third world country. For how long, and where, I don't know. But, I know that serving God by loving his unloved children is an awesome way that I would love to be remembered for.
-Grace Mayernick
CHAPTER 8:
ReplyDelete1) Risk Takers
“We are consumed by safety. Obsessed with it, actually. We’ve elevated safety to the neglect of whatever God’s best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or whatever would accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world.” I identify with this description because I feel like this describes me personally. Most of the time, I am completely focused on staying inside my comfort zone, making sure I look okay to everyone, and never putting myself in risky situations. Whether or not it pleases God, if it scares me, it’s out of the question. Chan asks, “Would you be willing to pray this prayer? God, bring me closer to You, whatever it takes”. I have to admit that I feel far away from being able to pray this, but I am certainly trying. I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone and do whatever He asks of me. I’m trying to throw caution to the wind and spread word of His amazing grace. I’m trying to prove to Him, in a sense, that I’m willing to do anything for Him and His astounding love.
2) Crazy Ones
“Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth.” I wish that this was me. I always want to be one of those people who give a substantial amount of their resources to those who need it more. Not for the pride or glory, but for the pure delight my Father receives in the selfless giving.
3) Unguarded Ones
“People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don’t put it on for God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace.” I usually try to keep myself guarded, even around those I feel closest to. So, to me, it almost feels normal to keep my mask on in God’s presence. I’ve been trying lately to reveal everything to Him – every fault, every failure, every fear. It’s incredible how freeing it is to fall on your knees at Jesus’ feet and drop the tiresome act of being “okay” for others!
CHAPTER 9:
I want my life to be known as a life full of worth and the outpouring of God’s love. I want others to feel God’s presence when they are in mine. I want there to be no possible way to look at me without seeing the Father. Although it might sound superficial or self-centered, I want to radiate His love. Not in a way that points to my insignificant faith, but in a perfect way that shines His grace on those around me. I think the most radical thing I could do for Christ would be to totally and completely give my life to Him. I know that sounds very generic, but I mean that in the most selfless way humanly possible. Not my glory, but His. Everything that I am, for Him. Every second of every day of every year…for Him, and Him alone. Soli deo gloria!
- Grace Bomar
Chapter 8:
ReplyDelete1. Lovers. There was one verse that was written and it was from Luke 14:12-14 and it said: Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." I loved this. Because I do realize that so many Christians are “do gooders” and they are nice, and they give and all. But they also want back. When I went to Honduras I gave to people who could have hurt me. I gave to people who really couldn’t give me back anything at all but a simple thank you. I served in scary places and just jumped with my faith in that God was going to take care of me and he did. Bu tit was so astounding to me that I didn’t even realize I was serving people who couldn’t give back to me. Then later it hit me like crazy, that I could have been hurt and I just Praised God for giving me the heart to serve and not be afraid, because he was right by my side.
2. Risk Takers. This one hit me the hardest. It truly caught me off guard. All of the obsessions were understandable, and shocking and just eye opening but this one stood out the most to me. I literally prayed those exact words in the book: Lord, we pray for safely as we travel. We ask that no one gets hurt on this trip. Please keep everyone safe until we return home, and bring us safety. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen. That was it. That was the exact prayer I pray every time I get in the car to drive somewhere far. Or every time I go on a mission trip. Or every time I get on a plane. Its crazy, how if we are so honest with ourselves we all say that and we all want to live and all want and strive to be safe and return home. When God has his plan. God knows what is right for us and he knows what he’s doing. And its ok to ask for provision but Francis is right. Would we be willing to pray this prayer? God bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes… whoa, THAT’S crazy. Crazy love.
3. Servers. I really liked this one about the serving. Serving, to me, is my favorite. I love it. Such as service days, and mission trips, and helping with the elderly. I believe I have a gift in serving and I want to use that forever. As it says in the book, people who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden, obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people. This is how I feel. This all says it in two sentences. I love God with all my heart so I will praise him by serving in any way possible and I will be free to let him use me.
Chapter 9: I want to be rememberd as someone who loved God passionately. I want to be someone who was obsessed with Gods love for me; someone who knew the scripture and lived by it; someone who cared for people; someone who did unto others as she believed Christ did unto her. I want to be used so badly it hurts. There is this song called Set The World On Fire by Britt Nicole. The words are undescribable and it is my song for my life. if you are reading this, anyone… please check out this song.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDelete-Risk Takers-
1. Like Grace, I picked the quote, “We are consumed by safety. Obsessed with it, actually. We’ve elevated safety to the neglect of whatever God’s best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or whatever would accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world.” I chose this because I can relate to it in my life right now. I always care about what people think of me or what I look like in front of them. That's something that I always struggle with on a daily basis. When Chan says, “Would you be willing to pray this prayer? God, bring me closer to You, whatever it takes”. This is something that I need to work on- not being afraid to come to God and ask him anything. This book has taught me to not be afraid like that.
-Crazy Ones-
2. “Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth.” This can also relate to a time in my life. I want to help other people who are either homeless or got caught by a flood or whatever. I need to work on having the heart to give people the money that I have. So, I need to pray to God and ask him to ease my heart.
-Sojourners-
3. The last category I picked was Sojourners. “A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.” I do think about Heaven sometimes. What it will feel like, look like, who I'll see. But I know that I will see my Father so that makes me feel good.
Chapter 9
When I die, I want to be known as a girl who loved God with all my heart. Someone, like Dani, who knew scripture and lived by it; someone who wasn't selfish; cared for others.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteThe first description of “obsessed” that I have seen in my life is the Lovers. Honestly it doesn't matter to anyone if someone loves and cares for me or hates me, if they need me, I will strive to help them with whatever they need. I know if the situation comes I may not want to help someone that doesn't like me or care for me, but I will help them. If God tell us to "do unto others as we would have done unto us", then I will obey Him. When God tells me to help someone I stick to it and do the best I can.
The second description of “obsessed” that stood out to me is the Friends Of All. "People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another." I feel like I do not show my love of God enough. I do not go to enough missionary helps or things like that. I really want to help out somehow and become a "Friend of all". I want to spread the Lords word to anyone and everyone I know that is unaware of his greatness. I hope I can follow through and spread it with more and more people as much as I can.
The third description of "obsessed" that i picked is Soujourners. "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently." I am really excited for heaven! It's described as the most amazing place ever but more. God is going to be there with us and we will be with him. I really cannot wait to actually know and see what heaven is really like! I was talking to my mom the other day and talked to her a lot about heaven. She told me more about it from all the books she's read on it. I'm really looking forward to spending every day, all day, forever and ever with Christ. Just thinking about heaven makes me smile and makes everything so much better. I love God and I cannot wait to be up there with Him!
Chapter 9:
I think the most radical thing I could do for Christ is to glorify and enjoy him forever. I believe thats what he want from us. And to help others see it too. So many people are blind to God and don't see how amazing and loving he is. If I was known for spreading the gospel and enjoy it always I would say my life was pretty achieved. I would love to tell more and more people about God and all he has done for us. I think bringing people to Christ and helping them is an amazing thing to do for someone. When I die, I hope people remember me as a person who truly loved Jesus with all her heart and would do whatever He asked.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteLovers
I picked the quote, "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that"..... I love this verse because it shows we need to venture out to try to "love" different people then the regular people we usually hang out with.
Crazy Ones:
Another great example is when Chan states that, “Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth.” I love this quote because it shows that everybody sins but the one and only God NEVER sins.
Sojourners:
Chan says, "A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them" i can relate to what hes saying because I do not think about heaven as much as i need to. I try to plan out my life on earth alot. But i need to focus myself on Jesus and what his plans are for me.
Chapter 9:
I would want to be known for being a kind-hearted lover of Christ. I think this would serve the Lord and i just want to serve him as much as i can on the earth.
Chapter 8:
ReplyDeleteRisk takers - "We are consumed by safety. Obsessed with it, actually. Now I'm not saying it is wrong to pray to God's protection, but i am questioning how we've made safety our highest priority" This quote REALLY relates to me. I have always been afraid to do things, always did the safe thing where i knew i wouldn't embarrass myself or hurt myself or what not. In my life i have learned it is ok to be scared to do things, but when we are dealing with God... i need to learn to really put myself out there. To leap out into his arms not KNOWING whether he will catch me or not, but TRUSTING that he will.
Crazy Ones - “Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth.” This really resinated with me because i always LOVE to serve people and i always have a WANT to serve people.... but do i always serve people? no! I need to listen to my feelings and actually go out and do something to make a change.
Soujourners - "Much of our time, energy, and money are channeled toward that which is temporary." This one really hit home because i realize why is life on earth seem so important when this is the life thats going to end sometime. Why do i sometimes feel that life on earth is more important than life in heaven when really i will be in heaven for eternity! It is important to live our lives in a Godly manner, but not to freak out about anything and everything. When something hard is going on, sometimes i take a deep breath and tell myself that one day i'll be in heaven and i will realize that this life i am living is not near as important as compared to heaven.
Chapter 9:
I want to be known for someone that would give their lives for Jesus Christ. That would do anything for him! Right now my heart is in the idea of missionary work, and I would love to explore that idea once i am through with school. I would love to travel around the world doing missionary work, whether its with children or adults! I want to challenge myself to not just play with the cute children but to do the 'dirty work'. To help in a way that i would not normally want to help. That is what truly humbles myself, and i'd love for people to notice that.
Friends of all
ReplyDeletei have seen this in my life because whenever i see pictures on the tv or speakers that show pictures of where they have it always hurts me! during my daily i dont think about how other people dont have what i have but i do look at what others have more than me, and when i read this "obseessed" i realized how selfish i am and how much God has given me! this will help me in my walk with God because this will make me realize what i do ave and should not be so selfish and to help others and to stop thinking about myself!
Crazy One
i have seen this one in my life a TON!!! i go to church because its the "right" thing i should do. i dont do the unexpected and fulfilling the status quo. this will help me with my walk with God because it will teach me how to just stop obeying and fulfilling what God wanted me to do.
Servers
i also see this discription in my life alot more than i would hope. sometimes i dont want to pray, i dont want to go to worship, or i dont want to open my bible! i see it as a burden os something boring. As chan said when he was first starting like he was proving his love to god! and right now thats where i am! but i hope through this book and church adn my school that i will soon be what chan has now! love for god! this will me with God becasue now i wouldnt have to prove, i could just love him!
i would like to be known as a person who gave herself to God!!! to do nothing but love the lord and to not worry about if im good enogh to be with him!!!! to teach people about God and how wonderful he is!!!
One example of those who are “obsessed” are people who love those who hate them. To me this relates more to my life by serving others and not expecting anything in return. An example would be all of the missions trips people go on. I recently went to Belize and spent my time and resources with people who half of the time don’t even agree or appreciate what I was there to promote (Christ). However, they don’t know how much they really gave me in return. Other people who are “obsessed”, are those who seek to make themselves less know and Christ more known. I have a Aunt and she is hard core atheist. At dinner one night I witnessed my dad talking to her and trying to get to know her. Whenever she would ask him questions though he would always make the answer about Christ. This really encouraged me to want to let people know me through knowing Christ. Lastly, someone who is “obsessed” is one who takes joy in loving God through loving his people. At my church I often time walk by the nursery and see all of the loving people who give up their time so that a couple of parents can go to church and worship. This really encourages me to want to set aside some of my time for others.
ReplyDeleteIn my life, I want to be remembered as someone who always put Christ before themselves and bases everything I did off of Him. One of my radical things I hope to do with my life is travel the world and see how others live. I want to life like them and with them, hopefully allowing them to see Christ through my actions. I feel that the most impactful thing for me is seeing God’s creation!!!
Lovers: People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back.
ReplyDelete---Chan states that love is compassion, and it touches the heart of the world. When you are kind and loving to EVERYONE, then you are most likely to have a sincere heart and you will probably be accused of being "fake" or "putting a show on" for others, but who cares what everyone thinks. "And then there is the love for the enemy-love for the one who does not love you but mocks, threatens, and inflicts pain...This is God's love. It conquers the world."
Servers: People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people.
---If we love others, then we are spreading God's love. His love is unconditional and everlasting, "from the inside out."
The Rooted: People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. There are nourished by God's Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages.
---Our time and resources block any and every way of us connecting and/or talking to God. If we can't talk to God, then that means we are not giving everything we have, which shows that we don't love Him nearly as much as He loves us.
In the beginning I wanted to be known for my passion for singing, and in my dreams I wanted to be famous and have all the glory to myself. Now all I want is for only people to know me as "the one that spreads the Word of the Almighty Father," because in the end that is all that matters. I want all the glory to go to God!